Medicare open enrollment runs from October 15th through December 7th each year. During this annual window those already enrolled in Medicare plans can reevaluate their coverage and make changes or add new polices in needed.
During the Medicare open enrollment period you can:
- Switch from original Medicare to Medicare Advantage (as long as you live in the Medicare Advantage plan’s service area and enrolled in both Medicare Part A & Part B).
- Switch from Medicare Advantage to original Medicare (plus a Medicare Part D plan and possibly a Medigap plan).
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another.
- Enroll in a Medicare Part D plan is not already enrolled.
- Switch from one Medicare Part D prescription drug plan to another.
During the Medicare open enrollment period you cannot enroll in Medicare if you didn’t enroll in Medicare when you were first eligible. Instead, you will use the Medicare general enrollment period which runs from January 1st to March 31st. If you enroll during the Medicare general enrollment period your coverage will take effect July 1st.
Once enrolled in Medicare there are many opportunities to change coverage options. This includes, annual open enrollment (October 15th – December 7th), Medicare Advantage open enrollment (January 1th through March 31th), and five-star enrollment period (December 8th – November 30th). Each enrollment period has different options you can switch to and from.
Most Americans are eligible for Medicare when turning 65. However, some people may become Medicare eligible prior to turning 65. Most Medicare beneficiaries receive Medicare part A without a monthly premium, but some have to pay for it. Some have to pay more than the standard amount for Medicare Part B and Part D coverage.
There are also many Medicare supplement insurance options. These go hand in hand with regular Medicare plans and help cover the cost of medical expenses that Medicare doesn’t cover. To learn more about Medicare supplement insurance coverage contact Steve Pore Insurance Agency by calling (800) 569-0462 or visit our website at https://stevepore.com/personal-insurance/medicare-supplement.